Saturday, January 9, 2016

New Year, New Adventures

Hello from beautiful city of Los Angeles!! I have been here almost a week and I am absolutely loving every bit of it from the city itself to my rotation site.  I am currently working at PathMD, which is located in Beverly Hills. They are a private lab and receive specimens from multiple local practices and we process them from the gross specimen to the slide, and then they are sent off to various hospitals to be evaluated by pathologists.  It has been a pretty laid back rotation so far with a lot of simpler specimens (a lot of GI biopsies), but I've also had the opportunity to do some cervical cones, ovaries, toe amputations, skins, breast capsules, and even penile implants as a gross only and kidney stones to be dictated and then sent off for stone analysis.  I have only spent five days in the lab, but I am getting more comfortable at the bench every day.  All of the things I learned the first year are really getting put to use on a regular basis.

Aside from work, I have also been exploring around the area a little bit.  To expand my exploring options, I have rented a car for the weekend and went out to hike the trails around the Hollywood sign and it was absolutely gorgeous.  I had the perfect view of the entire city.
It was a little over a 6 mile walk round trip for this hike, but it was totally worth it once I got to the top!  For continued weekend fun, I am heading to Disneyland tomorrow and I'm super excited to go there for the day.  I'm taking full advantage of these six weeks in a new part of the country by not only learning all that I can at the grossing bench, but also adventuring and exploring the area too!

No comments:

Post a Comment